Photo Credit: (Left) Historical Vehicle Association, (Right) Casey Maxon, Historic Vehicle Association
The AACA Museum, Inc. is excited to display a 1920 Anderson Six Convertible Roadster in the Historic Vehicle Associate (HVA) exhibit in the Museum Lobby. This will be the second car on display for this exhibit and is on view now through early June 2018.
The 1920 Anderson Six Convertible Roadster is designed to quickly convert from a sleek roadster to a five-passenger touring car. This is similar to the commonplace hide-away rumble seats that are found in later roadster and coupe designs. The 1920 Anderson Convertible is only one of seven known survivors of South Carolina’s first automobile company, the Anderson Company, which operated between 1916 and 1925. This car is the only known surviving example of one of the marque’s most innovative body types. This 1920 Anderson is the thirteenth vehicle added to the HVA’s National Historic Vehicle Register.
During 1916 to 1925, approximately 5,500 Anderson cars were produced in Rock Hill, SC, in direct competition with other American manufacturers. These cars were a luxurious alternative to mass-marketed vehicles at the time. They also introduced interesting colors with a rich palette of purple, blue, yellow, and other alternatives to the basic color schemes of other manufacturers.
Photo credit: Casey Maxon, Historic Vehicle Association
John Gary Anderson, the industrialist, and inventor behind the company featured numerous first innovations in the cars including power convertible tops, a unique rearview mirror, and a floor-installed headlight dimmer switch. He also introduced electric windshield wipers, years before Ford offered the technology. There was also an onboard air compressor driven by the car’s transmission for pumping up tires, and the radiator cap featured a thermometer known as a “motor meter” that was visible to the driver. In the side door was an integrated tool kit for on-the-go repairs.
Previously on display was a 1933 Graham Blue Streak 8 Sedan on loan from The NB Center for American Automotive Heritage.
About the Historic Vehicle Association
The HVA is dedicated to preserving and sharing America’s automotive heritage. In 2014, the HVA established the National Historic Vehicle Register in partnership with the U.S. Department of the Interior, Heritage Documentation Programs and Library of Congress to document historically significant automobiles in America’s past. The HVA is supported by over 400,000 individual historic vehicle owners, key stakeholders and corporations, as well as individual benefactors. Please visit: www.historicvehicle.org.