September 29 – December 31, 2017
Hershey, PA (September 29, 2017) The AACA Museum, Inc. is excited to be working with the Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) to curate an ongoing, rotating exhibit within the Museum.
“Dedicated to preserving and sharing America’s automotive heritage, the Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) is pleased to partner with the AACA Museum, Inc. to curate a rotating exhibit of National Historic Vehicle Register vehicles to share with its visitors,” said Mark Gessler, President of the HVA. In 2014, the HVA established the National Historic Vehicle Register in partnership with the U.S. Department of the Interior, Heritage Documentation Programs and Library of Congress to document historically significant automobiles in America’s past. For more information, please visit: historicvehicle.org
This first display is a 1933 Graham Blue Streak 8 Sedan on loan from The NB Center for American Automotive Heritage. Earlier this year, this Graham was the 19th vehicle inducted into the National Historic Vehicle Register in a ceremony at the Concours d’Elegance of America near Detroit. The Graham Blue Streak is likely best known for its streamlined body design by chief designer Amos Northup and will be on view through December 31, 2017.
“Discovering new vehicles and artifacts is what keeps visitor’s coming back again and again” stated AACA Museum Inc. Executive Director Jeff Bliemeister. “This new curated display with the HVA will assist us in sharing some unique and significant automobiles with our visitors” continued Bliemeister.
Northup and the Graham Brothers – Historical content provided by HVA
Brothers Robert, Joseph, and Ray Graham began their automobile business with the acquisition of Paige-Detroit in 1927. The launch of the Graham-Paige automobile in 1928 was a huge success. The company sold over 70,000 cars; the second highest figure for a new company to that point in time.
By 1930, the nation was in the depth of the great depression but the Graham brothers were optimistic that things would turn around. They decided to invest heavily in a new car that would be so far ahead of others that it would sell when nothing else could.
That car would be the 1932 Graham Blue Streak 8 Sedan. It was a new design from the ground up. The chassis was engineered to have the axle pass through instead of under the rear chassis. This made the car lower and wider which improved handling. The eight-cylinder engine with a high compression aluminum head produced 95 horsepower and made the car fast.
The body designed by Amos Northup was more elegant and streamlined than anything else on the road. For the first time, a production car had a grille slopped back, the fenders and sides (or valances) which were immediately imitated, and it was the first production car to use pearl-essence paint using fish-scales to create a metallic-like finish. The frame was concealed on all sides. The headlights were painted and not fully chromed to harmoniously blend with the overall design.
The car was an integrated whole not a mash-up of separate elements, a design built for speed, handling, safety in an elegant streamlined modern package. Ahead of its time, the Graham Blue Streak proved to be a tipping point from the old way cars were built to the new, modern streamlined design. More than eighty years later, Northup’s design of the Graham Blue Streak would again make history.
About the Historic Vehicle Association (HVA)
The HVA is dedicated to preserving and sharing America’s automotive heritage. In 2014, the HVA established the National Historic Vehicle Register in partnership with the U.S. Department of the Interior, Heritage Documentation Programs and Library of Congress to document historically significant automobiles in America’s past. The HVA is supported by over 400,000 individual historic vehicle owners, key stakeholders and corporations, as well as individual benefactors. Please visit: historicvehicle.org
About The NB Center of American Automotive Heritage
The NB Center for American Automotive Heritage is an institution dedicated to preserving America’s automotive heritage through its commitment to craftsmanship, education, and good stewardship. Located on 27 acres in east Allentown on the site of the former Boulevard Drive-In Theater, the many buildings of this private facility not only provide a home to over 150 vintage American automobiles, they house restoration shops and a dedicated track for this collection which is ready to be driven. The focal point of The NB Center is what is commonly referred to as “The Lodge”; a strikingly beautiful facility handcrafted from wood and stone salvaged from 2 period barns in-state. It houses the new state-of-the-art projection and audio system which can be used with the restored drive-in screen on the property. Another very important part of The NB Center is the Historic Vehicle Association’s National Laboratory. Additionally, to share the collection with other enthusiasts and those who will enjoy them, The NB Center automobiles continue to be displayed at public car shows and events, as well as on loan to various institutions.
About the AACA Museum, Inc.
The AACA Museum Inc., a Smithsonian Affiliate, displays beautifully restored automobiles, buses, and motorcycles in unique life-like scenes representing the 1890s – 1980s in a cross-country journey from New York to San Francisco. This Museum, a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, is known to be one of the largest automotive museums. Special exhibits change several times a year and focus on a variety of eras and types of vehicles. The AACA Museum, Inc. is home to the Cammack Tucker Collection; the World’s largest and most prestigious permanent collection of Tucker Automobiles and related artifacts. The Museum is in South Hanover Township, located just off Route 39, one mile west of Hersheypark Drive, Hershey, Pennsylvania. Regular admission $12, seniors age 61 and older $11, juniors age 4-12 $9, children age 3 and under, AACA Museum, Inc. Members and AACA Members are FREE. The Museum is open daily from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM with extended operating hours on October 5 & 6 until 9:00 PM. For further information, please call 717-566-7100 or visit www.AACAMuseum.org.